Link to Somers Youth Wrestling Registration Site: http://somersnywrest.siplay.
Practices: Mondays & Fridays, 6:15-7:30 p.m.
Location: Somers High School Wrestling Room
Season: Monday, November 30, 2015 – Friday, March 4, 2015
Fee: $150 (Includes: Headgear, T-shirt, Athletic Shorts)
Our Website: www.tuskerwrestling.com
Overview of Wrestling
Wrestling is all about control. Points are awarded to wrestlers as control changes. The main objective is to establish total control by pinning an opponent’s shoulders to the mat and earn a victory by pin. If neither wrestler can pin his opponent, the wrestler with the most points at the end of a match is the winner.
Benefits of Wrestling
- Improves physical fitness – wrestling involves all 5 components of fitness: muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, and body composition. Wrestling is a workout in itself and will make anyone a better athlete.
- Learn life lessons: Self-confidence, Commitment, Work ethic, Sportsmanship, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, Social skills
- Helps you improve in other sports, especially contact sports like football and lacrosse, because of similarities that crossover such as:
f. Body Awareness
- Wrestling does not limit certain body types like some sports do. Any body type can participate and succeed in wrestling. There are no tryouts or cuts at any level of Somers Wrestling.
- Wrestling is fun – there probably aren’t many people in the world who haven’t wrestled around or roughhoused with siblings and friends. The desire to test one’s strength and physical ability is instinctive.
Uniqueness of Wrestling
- Wrestling is the purest form of physical competition – during competition there is no one there to help you. A wrestler controls his success with his own mind and body.
- Satisfaction of getting the most out of yourself because you control your individual results
- Wrestling is a martial art and an important foundation in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). MMA is a fast growing sport in our country.